Friday 6 January 2012

Why has Kolaveri Di become kolaveri?

At University of California, Irvine


What made this song to go viral in India where language, culture, taste, dress, food habits and climate differ every 200kms? Now this song is also a hit in other countries too. Verses in this song are not stylish as in usual poetry, the content of the song is not a heavy subject – usual boy girl thing, then what made this is to be a global viral?


I think it has the potential to be a case study for management guys. As far my analyzing capability is concerned, a thing to go viral it has to act like virus – be contagious and poisonous. This song just needs you to know Basic English which is almost universal. Second, it broaches a subject which has kept that age group of mankind always in puzzle which is full of energy and dreams. Following poem too has same reason for its success –

When I born, I black
When I grow up, I black
When I go in Sun, I black
When I scared, I black
When I sick, I black
And when I die, I still black
And you white fellow
When you born, you pink
When you grow up, you white
When you go in sun, you red
When you cold, you blue
When you scared, you yellow
When you sick, you green
And when you die, you gray
And you calling me colored ??
-          cute poem nominted by the UN as the best poem for 2006 which was written by an African kid (Source: http://www.thelocal.se/discuss/index.php?showtopic=20252)

This puts into question the power of 4 P  – is this powerful tool really needed to make a thing viral?

1 comment: