Friday 1 August 2008

Recipe of Oratory

1st August, 2008

Humans are best example of social animal. Generally they like to live in groups, share grieves and happiness together. Their favorite pass time is chit chatting with others. They need a leader to guide them. As man had invented the powerful tool of social life called “The Art of Conversation”, it is very essential for a leader to gain mastery in the ORATORY tactic. This ability not only helps him to achieve a celebrity status, but wealth, and power to change history itself. Historical evidences are from its inventors Greeks, followed my many persons such as Hammurabi, Hitler, to today’s politicians. This flute of power has three holes to control and maximize its music; they are words, expression and time.

Apt words should be added to your speech like salt to a dish. It helps the listener to search out the nucleus of your speech. A striking example is the following message I received in my mobile from one of my friends. There was blind beggar on a busy urban street begging for his alms. He didn’t get enough money and found tough to make two ends of his life to meet. A passerby took pity on him; he wrote some words on a placard and kept it near him. Thereafter the beggar received surplus money. Can you guess what those words would have been? They were “Today is a beautiful day, but I can’t see! “

Suitable expressions are needed to make the speech to be a believable one. It aids the listener to believe your words and realize its importance. Prominent models are the stage artists. At last, but not the least, the time of delivery is crucial. It may add extra spark to your speech or mystify it. The joke must be cut at right time; otherwise it will not be relished by the audience. For this I would like to quote my personal experience itself. It was during my first year of undergraduate course. Our English tutor had asked us to give self introduction. When I mentioned that I did my schooling in Sri Ahobila Math OHSS, my friend raghavan enquired about the uniform of the school. I said it was white dhoti and shirts. Trying to make fun of the situation, one of my classmates, Ms.Suganya shot the question “Didn’t dogs bark at you seeing at your dhoties?” It augmented fire across my veins; I decided to take revenge in the same manner, at the same moment itself. I replied “I am glad to inform you that they didn’t and I think this sad state would have happened with your father and it might have prompted you to pose this question to me, my apologies to you!” The whole class erupted with laughter. This incident not only helped me to save my stake, but also spread my name in the campus.

Tipped by,
Kanagasabai S

1 comment: